TIPS ON MOLD: TIPS FOR RESIDENTS
It is our goal to maintain the highest quality living environment for our residents. To help achieve this goal, it is important to work together to minimize the potential for conditions that could lead to the growth of naturally occurring mold. Residents can help minimize mold growth in their units by taking the following actions:
- Open windows on days when the humidity is low. If not possible to open windows, run the air conditioner unit to circulate fresh air throughout your unit. However, keep windows and doors closed when the outdoor humidity is high and during damp or rainy weather conditions.
- If possible, maintain a temperature of between 50 and 80 Fahrenheit.
- Clean and dust your unit on a regular basis as required by your lease. Regular vacuuming, mopping and use of environmentally safe household cleaners are important.
- Periodically clean and dry walls and floors around the sink, bathtub, shower, toilets, windows and balcony doors using a common household disinfecting cleaner.
- On a regular basis, wipe down and dry areas where moisture sometimes accumulates, like countertops, windows and windowsills.
- Use the bathroom fan or alternative ventilation when bathing or showering and allow fan to run until all excess moisture has vented from the bathroom. If ventilation fans are not present, following the first item of this list is essential.
- Use exhaust fans in kitchen when cooking or while the dishwashers is running and allow the fan to run until all excess moisture has vented from the kitchen.
- Use care when watering houseplants. If spills occur, dry up excess water immediately.
- Do not overfill closets or storage areas. Ventilation is important in these spaces.
- Do not allow damp or moist stacks of clothes or other cloth materials to lie in piles.
- Immediately report to the management office any evidence of mold growth or musty odors.
- Immediately report to the management office any evidence of a water leak or excessive moisture in your unit or any common area.
You may also want to review the following documents (if applicable), which provides additional information and resources regarding your responsibility as a Resident:
To view your MSC Lease Agreement terms, go on to your MSC Appfolio Tenant Portal.